Friday, June 16, 2023

Exploration of Other GIS Software

 

Further exploring free, available options for GIS software, led me to DIVA GIS , a program specifically useful for mapping biodiversity. Installing this software was a relatively simple affair, and its user interface was straightforward. The Free spatial data provided through the DIVA website was useful for sourcing available data; including country and global level data, global climate, crop and species occurrence data, and global 90 meter satellite data. Of these, the ones I chose to explore were country level, and species occurrence data. First, with country level data, the DIVA website provides tools for selecting a country and refining the data selection down to administrative boundaries, roads, railroads, altitude, land cover, population density. Of these I selected land cover for the United States (image provided), which implemented well. Secondly, I explored adding species occurrence data through the link to the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF). From here eBird data was able to be accessed via Excel file, however this data in both csv and text format was unable to be uploaded into my map on DIVA; a problem I was unable to rectify. On the whole DIVA requires more GIS knowledge than Google My Maps, and there is some clunkiness inherent in the system and a lack tutorial help for solving problems that make this particular software difficult for me to use casually within my skill set.

DIVA (Image Source: Me)

Next, I explored the uses of ARCGIS Pro through Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, I was unable to install this software due to a Net software bug. Where I had the appropriately installed software however the installers refused to recognize the appropriate software on my computer.

ARCGIS Installer Error (Image Source: Me)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Taxonomy/Identification App and Web Resource Exploration

  Biodiversity Stewardship Identification App Blog Post Song Sleuth Review               Song Sleuth has long been a staple tool in my t...